Open in App
  • Local
  • U.S.
  • Election
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Education
  • Real Estate
  • Newsletter
  • CBS Minnesota

    Man, 18, charged in deadly Minneapolis mass shooting at Nudieland backyard music venue

    By Stephen SwansonAllen Henry,

    29 days ago

    https://img.particlenews.com/image.php?url=2KKMxq_0sbS0Rty00

    Teen charged in Minneapolis mass shooting that killed local musician 02:04

    MINNEAPOLIS — Criminal charges have been filed against an 18-year-old man in connection to last summer's deadly mass shooting at the Minneapolis backyard music venue dubbed Nudieland.

    August Golden , 35, was killed and six others were hurt in the shooting on the evening of Aug. 11, 2023, outside the home located off 16th Avenue South and East 22nd Street in the Ventura Village neighborhood.

    The Hennepin County Attorney's Office says the suspect, who was 17 at the time of the shooting, was charged by sealed warrant earlier this month with seven felony counts, including aiding and abetting second-degree murder and four counts of second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon.

    RELATED: Minneapolis music community mourning after mass shooting kills 1, injures 6

    The man was arrested on Monday, leading to the charges being unsealed. He made his first appearance in juvenile court on Tuesday afternoon.

    County Attorney Mary Moriarty says her office has yet to decide whether to push for adult certification.

    Although the suspect is now 18, WCCO-TV does not typically identify individuals unless they are charged as adults with crimes.

    The second teen, who was also 17 during the shooting, is still being sought. Their name and charges are still under seal.

    A spokesperson for Moriarty's office says the charge of aiding and abetting second-degree murder is essentially the same as second-degree murder since both carry the same penalty and blame of death. However, the two charges require different types of proof for conviction.

    Details from the juvenile petition


    The two suspects were attending the concert, and witnesses say they made "insensitive comments" and "derogatory epithets about the sexual orientation of concert attendees," according to the juvenile petition.

    The suspects eventually left, and less than a minute later gunfire erupted from the yard next door. Police say 10 shell casings were recovered at the scene.

    Several witnesses, including Aaron Dively, told WCCO days after the shooting that a queerphobic interaction involving the suspects occurred before the shooting.

    MORE NEWS : Minnesota State Sen. Nicole Mitchell charged with first-degree burglary

    "Two young men came in, started hitting on people that were not open to being hit on. And after being reprimanded and told to like step down, they grew increasingly violent, and did what they did," Dively said.

    Felix Jardine told WCCO they were standing next to Golden when he was fatally shot.

    https://img.particlenews.com/image.php?url=0O3Q4O_0sbS0Rty00
    August Golden Mia James

    "I ran and hid behind the garage, and then the shots stopped. And there was a lot more screaming. And they were with August, and August was bleeding out really fast. There are people on the ground, just complete chaos, it was a total nightmare," Jardine said. "(Golden) was just one of those people that was always there. Any show, any kind of event, he was there, and I loved his presence so much."

    The criminal complaint says one of the suspects was identified by DNA on a cigarette butt left at the scene. The other suspect was identified by a witness via surveillance camera footage.

    Moriarty addresses hate language, defends charging decision

    Moriarty, the first openly LGBTQ+ Hennepin County attorney, emphasized the queerphobic nature of the comments made before the carnage during a press conference Tuesday.

    "This shooting, at what should have been a joyous event, rocked our LBGTQIA+ community, and increased fear among a community that is too often already under attack," Moriarty said. "We are committed to holding those who caused this harm accountable, and to offering, as we already have, our office's resources to those who have been impacted by this senseless violence."

    Charging documents acknowledge the suspects used slurs before the attack, but Moriarty says proving it in court would have been too high of a bar.

    "We know that there were biased comments made. That's clear," she said. "What we don't believe at this moment is that we have enough information to know whether the crime itself was motivated by those hateful comments."

    She was also questioned over why she charged the suspect, now an adult, as a juvenile. It's a criticism she's faced in the past, and one that led Gov. Tim Walz to make the rare move of rerouting a murder case involving juveniles from her office to the attorney general's .

    "I absolutely know we will hold this young man and the other young man accountable. But our process is to look at each and every individual as an individual and wait until we get the certification study, the psychological reports and talk to the people who've been harmed by this tragedy," she said.

    Expand All
    Comments / 0
    Add a Comment
    YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
    Most Popular newsMost Popular

    Comments / 0