Wasp proofing your deck
By TownLift // Aimee L. Cook,2023-06-09
PARK CITY, Utah — Summer is the perfect time to enjoy your deck and yard, but it’s when wasps come out to play. These pests are attracted to the light and warmth of your deck, and they can quickly build nests that can be a nuisance and even dangerous.
Here are a few ideas to rid your space of the flying insect so you may enjoy the summer outdoors:
- Natural remedies: You can use several natural remedies to keep wasps away from your deck. One effective way is to hang a fake wasp nest. Wasps are territorial creatures and will avoid areas where they think other wasps have already established a nest. Another natural remedy is to use essential oils like peppermint, eucalyptus, or clove. Mix a few drops of the oil with water and spray it on your deck.
- Inspect your deck for any potential nesting spots. Wasps are attracted to dark, sheltered areas, so look for cracks in the wood, holes in the railing, or even under furniture.
- Seal up any cracks or holes. Once you have identified any potential nesting spots, seal them up with caulk or another sealant.
- Remove any food sources. Wasps are attracted to food, so remove any food sources from your deck, such as drinks, fruits, or vegetables.
- Using plants: Several plants can be grown near your deck to deter wasps from coming near. Some of these plants include mint, basil, and lemongrass. These plants have a strong scent that wasps dislike, making them less likely to hang around your deck.
- Install wasp traps. You may want to install wasp traps if you have a serious wasp problem. These traps will attract wasps and kill them.
- Call a professional. Call a professional pest control company if you have a large wasp problem or are uncomfortable dealing with wasps yourself.