Open in App
News 9 KWTV - Oklahoma City

Edmond Police Release Bodycam Footage Of Standoff Involving Murder Suspect


The Edmond Police Department released body cam footage of a standoff involving a man accused of the city's first homicide in 2023.

On Monday, police released two videos showing the perspectives of two members of the SWAT team as they responded to the hours-long standoff at a home on Castle Rock on Wednesday, Jan. 25.

Police said they initially responded to the home after dispatch received calls from several people in Florida saying their relative in Edmond had killed his wife and posted a video on social media.

Police later identified the suspect as 39-year-old Bernard Caldwell.

Investigators said when they arrived at the home, they could not make contact with Caldwell. Negotiators, the SWAT team and the bomb squad then arrived on scene.

After the SWAT team used its ram to break the front door, the bomb squad sent their robot into the home to survey the scene and communicate with the suspect using the robot's camera speaker, police said. That, combined with a loudspeaker, allowed officers to convince the suspect to surrender.

The bodycam videos showed members of the SWAT team calling for Caldwell to come outside. Caldwell then appeared briefly at the front door before walking back into the home. Shortly after, he returned to the front door and walked toward the SWAT team with his hands up, according to the videos.

After being instructed by the SWAT team to walk backward toward the officers, police approached and handcuffed him.

One of the bodycam videos showed police searching Caldwell. After ensuring he didn't have a weapon on him, police walked Caldwell to a squad car.

The other bodycam video showed SWAT team members entering the home and seeing the bomb squad robot in a hallway near the front door. That was where the video ended.

Police said they found the body of 48-year-old Demetria Jordan inside the home.

Caldwell is facing two charges: first-degree murder and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. He was denied bond and remained in the Oklahoma County Detention Center as of Monday.

Expand All
Comments / 0
Add a Comment
Most Popular newsMost Popular

Comments / 0