When 'Sorry for Your Loss' Doesn't Cut It, Try These 50 Condolence Messages That Come Straight From the Heart
By Stephanie Osmanski,2022-10-27
At one point or another, all of our lives are unfairly touched by grief. When it's our turn to deal with losing someone we love, there's nothing more painful and when someone we know is going through grief, it can be difficult to effectively relay how gutted we feel on their behalf. That's where thoughtful, pre-written condolence messages can make up for a loss of words.
Anyone who has experienced profound grief will probably tell you there are a few things they don't want to hear anymore. And it makes sense. Because in the wake of a catastrophic, life-changing event, "sorry for your loss" doesn't always speak to the enormity of emotions. The most cherished and deepest condolence messages are those that offer support, sympathy and empathy to the grieving person, and let them know that they have you, a friend, to lean on. So, whether you're looking for ideas on what you could say in person, or searching for what to write in a sympathy card, we have plenty of considerate, reflective and sincere inspiration to share.
Keep reading for 50 heartfelt condolence messages that show the recipient love and kindness while experiencing grief.
1. You will be remembered each day right from the start, for the memories that we shared forever live within our hearts.
2. Our sorrow at [NAME] passing is not something I can put into words. My prayers and love go out to his family and friends at this most painful and challenging time.
3. "To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die." —Thomas Campbell
4. What an amazing person and what a remarkable life. I feel so lucky that I got to know [NAME].
5. Celebrating the life of a good person and mourning their passing with you.
6. We don’t know how to heal your pain but wish we could—our most sincere condolences.
7. I know I can’t make your pain go away, but I want you to know I’m here with a shoulder or an ear or anything else you may need.
8. And God shall wipe away tears from their eyes, and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain; for the former things are passed away. —Revelation 21:4
9. "It’s hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember." —Unknown
10. When tomorrow starts without me
And I’m not there to see;
If the sun should rise and find your eyes
All filled with tears for me.
I wish so much you wouldn’t cry
The way you did today;
While thinking of the many things
We didn’t get to say.
I know how much you love me
As much as I love you;
And each time that you think of me,
I know you’ll miss me too.
When tomorrow starts without me,
Don’t think we’re far apart
For every time you think of me,
I’m right here in your heart.
—A Letter From Heaven
Condolence Messages for a Friend
11. I have so many beautiful memories of [NAME]. I’m going to miss [HIM/HER].
12. Someone so special can never be forgotten.
13. Words fall short of expressing my sorrow for your loss. I am deeply sorry to hear about the passing of [NAME].”
14. I hope this card finds you surrounded by strength and compassion.
15. I'll remember [NAME] in so many positive ways..." [Then, list the ways.]
16. May you be comforted by the outpouring of love surrounding you.
17. We hope it brings you comfort to know that we are celebrating the life [NAME] lived and are thankful for [HIS/HER/THEIR] impact on our lives.
18. We hope you know we are by your side during this time of sorrow.
19. Love never dies. [NAME] will always be with you.
20. May your heart and soul find peace and comfort.
Short Condolence Messages
21. Wishing you peace, comfort, courage, and lots of love at this time of sorrow.
22. Thinking of you at this tender time.
23. "There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart." —Mahatma Gandhi
24. Even though there is joy in the homegoing, there is sorrow in your loss.
25. Wishing you the best and know you have my full support at every moment.
26. We are missing [NAME] along with you. With heartfelt sympathy.
27. I am thinking of you and your family and sending caring thoughts your way to support you through this.
28. With deepest sympathy as you remember [NAME].
29. Sending healing prayers and comforting hugs.
30. My heart goes out to you at this difficult time.
Condolence Messages for the Loss of a Mother
31. I’m sure your heart is aching. We want you to know that we are here for you if you need anything. Expect us to check in soon.
32. Although no words can take away the sorrow that you bear, may it be comforting to you to know that others care.
33. Mothers never really leave us. They are always with us and we hope that gives you some small comfort during this difficult time.
34. A mother's love is infinite and all-encompassing. May you continue to feel her love every day even though she is no longer here with us.
35. Thinking of you, wishing you hope in the midst of sorrow and comfort in the midst of pain.
37. The legacy [NAME] left behind will never disappear. She was a wonderful person, a thoughtful [SISTER, AUNT, DAUGHTER, ETC.], and an unparalleled mother.
38. Our family will forever remain strong together and will share in the journey to finding peace despite this grief for your mother.
39. Your mother will be greatly missed; may you be comforted by your many memories of her and with her.
40. There is no one else in the world quite like your mom.
Condolence Messages for the Loss of a Father
41. In your time of sorrow, we would like to extend our heartfelt condolences to you and your family. Your father was brilliant and thoughtful in so many ways that struck a chord.
42. Your father was loved so deeply and so we will grieve deeply too.
43. May your father's memory be eternal.
44. Your father may have passed on, but his thoughts, hopes and dreams live on.
45. I looked up to your father as if he was my own. I'm so saddened by his passing.
46. Your dad touched many people’s lives—mine included. I’m grateful I got the chance to know him.
47. Your father led a remarkable life. I never heard anyone say a bad word about him. I’m honored to have known him, and I will miss him.
48. Your dad was a great mentor to me and I’m so sorry to hear of his passing. I’m keeping your family in my thoughts. If you need to talk to someone, I’m here for you.
49. Your dad was a true hero. May his memory and legacy live on through you.
50. I’ll always cherish the memories I had with your family. I loved [LIST ACTIVITIES] with your father. I am so sorry.