The 10 Best Backroads In Missouri For A Long Scenic Drive
If you love to relax on a long leisurely drive, this list of the best scenic drives in Missouri is right up your alley. There are plenty of beautiful drives in Missouri that show off the Show Me State’s natural beauty and historic attractions. So, buckle up and cruise down any of these 10 Missouri byways that are perfect for a long scenic drive.
1. Stars and Stripes BywayThe Stars and Stripes Byway is a 5.5-mile route that celebrates the history of Stoddard County. During your trip, stop by the Civil War era cemetery, the Stars and Stripes Museum, and the Missouri Veterans’ Cemetery.
2. Sugar Camp Scenic BywaySugar Camp Scenic Byway, one of the most beautiful drives in Missouri, will treat you to the most picturesque farms and forests deep in Ozark country. This 28-mile trip starts and ends near Cassville and is perfect for a relaxing Sunday drive. Learn more on the official website of Sugar Camp Scenic Byway .
3. Sho-Me Santa Fe TrailFollow in the footsteps of pioneer travelers on the Santa Fe Trail, or walk the path of Civil War soldiers on their way to the Battle of Lexington. The trail runs for 20 miles and then connects to Old Trails Road Byway in Lexington. Stop by the many vineyards and fruit stands along this route. Here's an interactive map of The Santa Fe Trail in Missouri.
4. Old Trails Road BywayOld Trails Road Byway will take travelers along the old trade routes and pioneer trails of days gone by. Take in the beautiful sights along the Missouri River, and stop along the trail to learn about Missouri's rich history. This 15-mile trip is well worth your time. Learn more about Lexington , a charming town along one of the most beautiful Missouri byways.
5. Missouri Highway 21Highway 21 in Missouri takes you south past the Mark Twain National Forest, the Current River Conservation Area, and the Rocky Creek Conservation Area. This long highway drive is perfect for seeing all of Missouri's most amazing natural attractions.
6. Glade Top TrailGlade Top Trail takes you on a 23-mile journey through the Hercules Glades Wilderness Area. This beautiful drive travels along rolling hills through stunning rural Missouri. If you're taking this route, make time to stop in the conservation area to truly experience some of Missouri's most breathtaking and unique natural areas. Here's the official website of Glade Top Trail .
7. Missouri Great River RoadMissouri's Great River Road travels along the mighty Mississippi and will show you some of the state's most beautiful river towns. Learn about our state's rich history and how the Mississippi River helped create Missouri as we know it today. You will also love the gorgeous views from the top of the river bluffs and down into the lush river bottoms. Check out this map of Great River Road .
8. Historic Route 66 BywayHistoric Route 66 will take you across the state, beginning north of St. Louis and ending near Joplin at the Kansas state line. Travel the Mother Road, and stop at the amazing and historic roadside attractions along the way. Route 66 is the ultimate road trip, and you don't want to miss out on the Show Me State's section. Find more information on Historic Route 66 on Visit Missouri .
9. Ozark Mountain ParkwayTake in the sights and sounds of Branson on the Ozark Mountain Parkway, another of the most beautiful drives in Missouri. This shorter scenic route will give you a glimpse into the beauty of the Ozarks and the hustle and bustle of Missouri's largest tourist destination.
10. Spirit of Kansas City Regional Scenic BywayThe Spirit of Kansas City Byway is the only urban scenic route in the state. Learn about the history of Kansas City along this route, and continue your journey when this beautiful Missouri byway connects to Cliff Drive Scenic Byway.
Have you taken any of these beautiful drives in Missouri? Let us know about your trip in the comments below. If you’re ready to hop in the car for more Missouri adventures, you’ll need to set course for this lighthouse road trip .
The post The 10 Best Backroads In Missouri For A Long Scenic Drive appeared first on Only In Your State .