Jesse Lingard 'rejects new Manchester United deal' amid 'concerns over lack of playing time' at Old Trafford - after club couldn't agree fee with West Ham following successful loan spell
The England international enjoyed a highly successful loan spell at West Ham last season but will now have to fight for his place at Old Trafford after the two clubs failed to reach an agreement in the summer transfer window.
The 28-year-old though has not started a game for United so far this season and is in the final year of his £100,000-a-week deal at the club.
Now it has been reported by the Evening Standard that he has snubbed a contract extension, which could see him leave the club permanently at the end of the season on a free transfer.
During his spell in east London, Lingard scored nine goals and created five assists in 16 appearances.
Despite not being able to sign Lingard permanently in the summer, there are suggestions David Moyes' side could make a fresh approach in the January transfer window.
The attacking midfielder is said to want assurances over game time at his boyhood club and is concerned that a lack of opportunities will impact his place in the England squad ahead of the World Cup in Qatar next year.
Asked about Lingard, England boss Gareth Southgate said: 'We know Jesse has a challenge and he knows he has a big challenge with the quality of attacking players at United.
'But they've also got a lot of matches in different competitions so hopefully he can take that challenge on and he will take that challenge on.
'He has rebounded brilliantly in the last 12 months from a difficult period and he has shown that he has got quality.'
After missing the Euros, Lingard scored twice and produced an assist during England's 4-0 victory over Andorra on Sunday.
Cristiano Ronaldo's shock return to Old Trafford after 12 years away from the club means there is extra pressure for attacking places in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's squad.
West Ham opted to sign CSKA Moscow's Nikola Vlasic after failing to land Lingard over the summer.