Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s invite to Christmas with the Queen ‘being discussed’ after couple spurned celebrations
MEGHAN Markle and Prince Harry's invitation to a Royal Christmas is still be discussed after the couple spurned previous invites.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reportedly keen to visit the Queen in the coming months to introduce their daughter Lilibet to her great-grandmother.
The baby girl, who was named after the 94-year-old monarch, is yet to meet the Queen after being born in the US.
The Sun on Sunday today revealed the Sussexes had now offered to fly into London to see the Queen, which will be the Duchess' first trip to the UK since Megxit.
And a source has since said it is unclear if the couple will spend Christmas with the Queen after not spending the past two celebrations apart.
A source said: “Harry and Meghan have made this offer but a lot of people are shocked by the sheer nerve of it. They may genuinely want to see the Queen but it’s breathtaking given what they’ve put her through this year.
“Her Majesty’s staff have not responded so far. In fact there has also been discussion about Christmas — and whether an invitation should be sent to Harry and Meghan, after they spurned one last year.”
They added: "The Queen is still very fond of Harry, and would love to see Lilibet and her brother Archie.
“But courtiers are surprised by the move, especially from Meghan, after what has happened.”
The Sussexes did not attend Christmas last year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
And in 2019, they spent Christmas in Canada instead of with the Royal Family.
Senior staff are said to be shocked by the couple’s interest to spend Christmas with the Queen, months after the couple blasted the Royal Family in an interview with Oprah Winfrey.
Harry has recently made “olive branch” calls to his family as he and Meghan hope to have a christening for their four-month-old daughter possibly at Windsor Castle.
We recently revealed how Her Majesty was “exasperated” with attacks by the Sussexes.
The monarchy is also braced for the release of Harry’s memoir next year, with The Sun on Sunday telling how the Queen is getting “lawyered up” against any new claims.
In April, Harry returned to the UK alone for grandad Prince Philip’s funeral.
Biographer Omid Scobie says Harry met The Queen privately twice during his stay.
He last appeared in the UK in July to unveil a statue to mum Diana. Harry’s conciliatory calls are thought to include conversations with dad Charles and brother William.
Insiders say he is not likely to return until after September 15 — his 37th birthday.
And the Queen plans to stay at Balmoral until October.
Royal expert, Angela Levin has said: "Harry and Meghan like to challenge senior royals and especially the Queen.
"It's hard for her to turn away her beloved grandson however badly he's behaved but they are bound to have some a different agenda up their sleeves and she could loose (sic) out whatever she decides."