Grizzly Missouri Murder: Beaten, Stabbed, Shot, Dumped
Missouri State News by Betty Smith, Crime and Justice Bureau Chief
A Missouri man was murdered as a result of a kidnapping conspiracy involving six Missouri residents.
Along with their Alias, the defendants are listed accordingly.
- Freddie Lewis Tilton, also known as “Ol’ Boy,” 48
- Carla Jo Ward, 47, both of Joplin
- Amy Kay Thomas, 38, of Webb City, Missouri
- James B. Gibson, 39, of Neosho
- Lawrence William Vaughan, also known as “Scary Larry,” 49, of Newton County
- Russell Eugene Hurtt, also known as “Uncle,” 49, of Greenwood, Missouri
One defendant has not been apprehended. The federal indictment alleges that each of the individuals participated in a conspiracy to kidnap the victim, identified as “M.H.,”.
According to the indictment:
- Ward picked up M.H. and took him to Vaughan’s residence.
- Tilton, Thomas, and Gibson arrived at Vaughan’s residence.
- He was handcuffed and his mouth and other body parts were taped with duct tape.
- Thomas cut M.H. numerous times with a knife and Gibson beat M.H. with a club.
- Tilton fired the fatal shot to the head.
- M.H.’s body was wrapped in plastic and transported to Hurtt’s wooded property.
Missouri officers executed a search warrant at Hurtt’s property based on a tip that a deceased body was located on the grounds.
When officers arrived Tilton started firing multiple shots from inside the home at them. As a result of his capture, the Missouri police discovered M.H.'s body. Additional charges were filed against the six assailants one count of using a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence, resulting in murder.
There were several agencies working together with Missouri Officers to apprehend the subjects.
How do you feel? What do you think?