View more in
Lansing, MI

When Haslett and Lake Lansing Were Known As ‘Pine Lake’

Posted by 
94.9 WMMQ
94.9 WMMQ
 2021-06-17
Cover picture for the article

Haslett's beginnings go back to the 1840s when the swampy surroundings of Pine Lake (later Lake Lansing) were inhabited by 35 farmer families and a one-room schoolhouse. In 1879 it became a postal station under the name “Pine Lake P.O.”. That same year, Lansing's urban trolley system began bringing people out to Pine Lake for recreation, It was also a resort area for Spiritualists, founded by James Haslett. Around the first day of fall in 1890, it was re-named Haslett Park; five years later, the “Park” was dropped and it was known as just 'Haslett' from then on.

wmmq.com

Comments / 0

Comments / 0