View more in
Maryland State

20 year old Murder Case Closed

Posted by 
Josie Klakström
Josie Klakström
 3 days ago

It took two decades to convict the new father’s murderer.
John Michael Ingersoll JrDorchester Star

Gregory Collins was shot and killed in his car while driving home from work at Eastern Correctional Institution. Around 4 pm on the 4th of June 2001, Gregory was reported missing when he didn’t return home from his shift at the facility.

Gregory was found off Indiantown Road on Route 331 by a Maryland State Trooper, where he was unresponsive.

Refusing to engage in criminal activity, police believe a hit was ordered on the 31 year old by John Michael Ingersoll Jr., who is currently imprisoned at Dorchester County Detention Center.

“This is an example of how cases never end, they never go away, they are always being pursued or worked on in some degree,” said Bill Jones, Dorchester County State’s Attorney.

A witness came forward in 2019, and Ingersoll was arrested shortly afterwards. His trial was postponed to let his lawyers have sufficient time to prepare for the trial, but because of Covid-19, the court was shut.

“We all sat down and talked about the new information, ultimately they presented that case to us, and I turned to Ella [Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Ella Disharoon] and said I leave it up to you if you think there’s enough here to charge, I think trusted her and that she did think it was enough to charge,” recalled Bill Jones.

On the 1st of June, the trial began, and Ingersoll was facing murder, first- and second-degree assault, use of a handgun in a violent crime and possession of a firearm with dangerous substances.

On the 7th of June, after an hour and 40 minutes of deliberation, the jury returned with a guilty verdict for Ingersoll on all charges.

Sentencing is due to happen soon, but for Gregory’s wife and his daughter, who was just six months old when her father was killed, the verdict is enough for them.

"We are grateful to the family for their patience and perseverance," Bill Jones said, "and we are grateful to the state police for their perseverance."