Here is Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Monday, May 17
Monday's COVID-19 update from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) includes 589 new cases and zero new deaths.
The state's death toll is 7,296 since the start of the pandemic. Of the total deaths, 60% (4,390) were residents of long-term care.
Through May 15, the state reported that 2,732,819 people have received at least 1 dose of the COVID-19 vaccine while 2,340,582 people have completed their vaccine series.
Sixty-one (61) percent of Minnesotans aged 16-plus have received at least one shot, while 88.2% of the age-65-plus population has had at least one dose of a vaccine. Overall, 49% of the state's population has had at least one dose.
MDH has a public dashboard to track vaccine progress in Minnesota, and you can view it here.
Through May 16, the number of people with COVID-19 hospitalized in Minnesota was 423, keeping the trend of hospital admissions decreasing since mid-April.
Of those hospitalized, 108 people were in intensive care and 315 were receiving non-ICU treatment.
Here's how Minnesota's hospital admissions have progressed since Mar. 7.
- Mar. 7: 223 (177 non-ICU, 46 ICU)
- Mar. 13: 255 (194 non-ICU, 61 ICU)
- Mar. 20: 324 (246 non-ICU, 78 ICU)
- Mar. 27: 356 (264 non-ICU, 92 ICU)
- Apr. 2: 439 (337 non-ICU, 112 ICU)
- Apr. 8: 595 (461 non-ICU, 134 ICU)
- Apr. 14: 699 (531 non-ICU, 168 ICU)
- Apr. 20: 676 (483 non-ICU, 193 ICU)
- Apr. 26: 641 (457 non-ICU, 184 ICU)
- May 2: 576 (421 non-ICU, 155 ICU)
- May 9: 481 (348 non-ICU, 133 ICU)
- May 16: 423 (315 non ICU, 108 ICU)
Testing and positivity rates
The 589 positive results in Monday's update were from 17,616 completed tests, creating a test positivity rate of 3.34%.
According to Johns Hopkins University, Minnesota's test positivity rate over the past seven days is 4.82%.
The World Health Organization recommends that a percent positive rate (total positives divided by total completed tests) of below 5% for at least two weeks is necessary to safely reopen the economy. That 5% threshold is based on total positives divided by total tests.
Coronavirus in Minnesota by the numbers
- Total tests: 9,695,477 (up from 9,677,017)
- People tested: 4,182,986 (up from 4,175,936)
- People with at least 1 vaccine shot: 2,732,819 (up from 2,722,944)
- People who have completed vaccine series: 2,340,582 (up from 2,325,495)
- Positive cases: 595,016 (up from 594,427)
- Deaths: 7,296 – 403 of which are "probable*" (no change from 7,296)
- Patients no longer requiring isolation: 579,606 (up from 578,338)
* Probable deaths are patients who died after testing positive using the COVID-19 antigen test, which is thought to be less accurate than the more common PCR test.