View more in
Gin Lee

Arkansans ask what they can do when their dogs eat chocolate

Posted by 
Gin Lee
Gin Lee
 2021-05-16

https://img.particlenews.com/image.php?url=0UA1ts_0Zw6dJub00
Chocolate is not kind to man's best friendDesygner/Virginia Watkins

Arkansans did your pooch scarf down your chocolate?

Fido will beg for whatever his owner is eating, and many pet owners aren't aware that feeding chocolate to dogs can be quite fatal if their pooch is fed too much of its velvety sweetness.

All pooches more than likely at one point in time will devour a candy bar or a box of chocolates that's been left on the table unwatched. Pups also tend to beg their owner for a nibble of chocolate simply because pooches love not only the smell of its cocoa aroma, but also its astringent creamy flavor, and they'll do whatever trick to retrieve a bite of it.

However, in case you haven't ever heard, chocolate is poisonous to dogs. A small amount will likely only cause your pooch to have an upset tummy, causing diarrhea, and vomiting. Whereas when large amounts of chocolate are fed to our furry friends it can cause heart attacks, internal bleeding, seizures, and muscle tremors, among other things, and possible death. The first commonly seen side effect is restlessness because chocolate makes pooches extremely hyperactive. As if some dog breeds aren't already hyper enough.

What is in chocolate that makes it so harmful to pups?

Chocolate contains theobromine, and caffeine and when it comes right down to it, it's toxic to dogs. The amount of chocolate, type of chocolate, and the size of your dog all factor into the equation of how harmful it will be upon your dog's consumption of it. If your dog has scarfed down chocolate and is showing any signs of distress call your veterinarian immediately. You can also use the Chocolate toxicity calculator for dogs to detect how the chocolate your dog has eaten might affect them. Normally, the veterinarian will tell you to induce vomiting instantly. You may also want to call the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-213-6680 if your veterinarian clinic isn't open.

How do you induce vomiting if your pooch devoured chocolate?

If too much time hasn't passed by since your pup ingested the chocolate the best possible way to have it upchuck the chocolate is by giving them (by mouth) one full tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide mixed 50/50 with water with an oral dosing syringe. You should only use one milliliter for every pound that your dog weighs. So, for one example, if your dog is a small breed, weighing in at fifteen pounds you'll need fifteen milliliters in the syringe of this mixture. The hydrogen peroxide mixture will usually make them throw up in about five to fifteen minutes. Should your dog not start vomiting after the first fifteen minutes, give it another dose, and wait. If after thirty minutes has passed by and your pooch still hasn't vomited don't give it any more doses of the hydrogen peroxide mixture.

Don't have hydrogen peroxide?

One teaspoon of salt placed in the very back of your pooches tongue will also be effective for inducing your fur baby to vomit. Just add the salt to a teaspoon and try to put the salt as far back on your pet's tongue as possible.

Both of these methods work not only if your beloved dog eats chocolate but also if it should eat anything else poisonous.

Yes! Dogs will be dogs and they tend to sometimes eat the strangest things food-related or otherwise. Sometimes when they eat chocolate you may not even see any type of visible signs of distress, but this doesn't mean that feeding chocolate to your pooch is alright. Even though your fur baby may not show signs right away, the risk of it getting pancreatitis from chocolate toxicity is still there.

View All 2 Commentsarrow_down