Hall of Famer Roberto Alomar placed on MLB ineligible list after sexual misconduct allegation
Roberto Alomar, who had been serving as a consultant to Major League Baseball, has been placed on the league's ineligible list after an investigation into a 2014 sexual misconduct allegation.
MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement Friday that an independent investigation was made into a baseball industry employee's allegation against the 53-year-old.
"Having reviewed all of the available evidence from the now completed investigation, I have concluded that Mr. Alomar violated MLB's policies, and that termination of his consultant contract and placement on MLB's Ineligible List are warranted," Manfred said. "We are grateful for the courage of the individual who came forward. MLB will continue to strive to create environments in which people feel comfortable speaking up without fear of recrimination, retaliation, or exclusion."
Alomar released a statement on social media saying he was "disappointed, surprised, and upset" but also that he understood MLB's decision.