Neil Young hits the road again with West Coast solo acoustic concert tour this summer
By Mike Snider, USA TODAY,2023-06-09
Neil Young is hitting the road along the west coast this summer – and apparently breaking out some little-heard classics.
The limited run of solo shows along the west coast begins July 1 with four consecutive shows in Los Angeles, a press release revealed Friday. Other stops include San Diego, then dates in Oregon and Washington, before ending in Napa, California. Singer-songwriter Chris Pierce will be a special guest during the Coastal Tour.
These will be Young's first series of live performances since before the COVID-19 pandemic. He skipped Farm Aid 2022, but in April he did perform at the Light up the Blues event in Los Angeles , a benefit for Autism Speaks held by former bandmate Stephen Stills, and at Willie Nelson's 90th birthday concert .
Young voiced hesitation to return to live shows amid the pandemic to USA TODAY in December 2021, while speaking on the release of the album "Barn" from him and Crazy Horse: "There is no post-COVID right now. We've got a whole 'welcome back' thing," Young said, who added he had no touring plans at the time. "Give me a break. This is misinformation. It is totally wrong. We are not over this. We're not anywhere near over it."
Neil Young, Crazy Horse album: 'Barn' tackles mountain of problems on 'positive' album
Most of the songs Young plans to play – about 80% – will be songs he has recorded but not played live, he told fans during a Zoom call Thursday with Thrasher's Wheat , an unofficial Young fan and news site.
Tickets go on sale starting Wednesday, June 14 at 10 a.m. local time at Ticketmaster and other usual outlets. Members of the Neil Young Archives can attempt to get tickets during a presale period starting Monday, June 12.
Neil Young tour dates
- Saturday, July 1: Los Angeles, CA – The Ford
- Sunday, July 2: Los Angeles, CA – The Ford
- Tuesday, July 4: Los Angeles, CA – The Ford
- Wednesday, July 5: Los Angeles, CA – The Ford
- Friday, July 7: Santa Barbara, CA – Santa Barbara Bowl
- Saturday July 8: Paso Robles, CA – Vina Robles Amphitheatre
- Tuesday, July 11: San Diego, CA – The Shell
- Thursday July 13: Los Angeles, CA – The Greek Theatre
- Saturday, July 15: Berkeley, CA – The Greek
- Monday, July 17: Bend, OR – Hayden Homes Amphitheater
- Tuesday, July 18: Ridgefield, WA – RV Inn Style Resorts Amphitheater
- Thursday, July 20: Auburn, WA – White River Amphitheatre
- Sunday, July 23: Napa, CA – Oxbow RiverStage
Follow Mike Snider on Twitter: @mikesnider .
What's everyone talking about? Sign up for our trending newsletter to get the latest news of the day
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Neil Young hits the road again with West Coast solo acoustic concert tour this summer