Open in App
  • Local
  • U.S.
  • Election
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Education
  • Real Estate
  • Newsletter
  • Irish Star

    El Paso man dies after being 'electrocuted' in hot tub at resort as wife frantically tries to save him

    By Joe Smith & Rudi Kinsella,

    2024-06-18
    https://img.particlenews.com/image.php?url=4ezYL6_0tvM61FW00

    Court documents have revealed the horrifying moment a man was electrocuted to death in a hot tub at a resort while his wife desperately tried to save him, with staff allegedly standing by without "doing anything".

    Jorge Guillen, 43, and his wife Lizette Zambrano, 35, were holidaying at the Sonoran Sea Resort in Puerto Penasco, Mexico , when they decided to unwind in a hot tub on the evening of June 11.

    But as soon as he entered the water, "Jorge was exposed to an electrical current" and "keeled over," according to details outlined in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by Lizette, who was also critically injured in the incident.

    Lizette "sprang forward from the pool deck to try and grab Jorge's body from the hot tub. However, upon touching Jorge and the water, Lizette was electrically shocked" and fell back into the tub. As other guests at the resort realised what was happening, they sprang into action - while bystanders were able to rescue Lizette, her husband wasn't so fortunate.

    "Patrons attempted to assist, grabbing a shepherd's cross and other items..However, the metal from the objects carried the electrical current and began shocking the rescuers," the complaint read, according to People magazine. The suit alleges that it was 10 minutes before the resort staff finally used "the emergency shutoff for the jacuzzi" or attempted "any rescue of either Jorge or Lizette."

    Tragically, Jorge's life could not be saved despite the manager's efforts to pull him from the hot tub. The family's lawyer, Tej Paranjpe, told the Associated Press that the incident was "absolutely terrifying," and claimed that "there was not a single staff member that did anything while Jorge was getting continuously shocked again and again underwater."

    For all the latest news straight to your inbox, sign up for our FREE newsletters here .

    Lizette has since filed a lawsuit against the resort operators in the United States, seeking $1 million in damages. The suit, which was filed in her hometown of El Paso, Texas , names Casago International, a vacation rental company, and High Desert Travel, a travel agency, both based in Arizona, as defendants, holding them responsible for the faulty wiring of the hot tub.

    In Sonora state, Mexico, prosecutors have announced that they are investigating "the origin of the electrical failure" and plan to conduct field visits soon. The family's attorney, Tej Paranjpe, reiterated in a statement: "There is no reason this should have happened."

    "Hotels and resorts have a duty to ensure guest safety. At no point did resort staff think to engage an emergency shut-off, not to mention warn guests of a faulty, dangerous amenity."

    "Due to the unsafe manner in which the Defendants operated its Premise, Plaintiff suffered and sustained bodily injuries resulting from the incident," the lawsuit stated. "These injuries caused Plaintiff to sustain damages including past and future medical bills, and pain and suffering and mental anguish."

    For the latest local news and features on Irish America, visit our homepage here .

    Expand All
    Comments / 0
    Add a Comment
    YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
    Most Popular newsMost Popular

    Comments / 0