Tragic car fire claims 3 lives in Chicopee
By Kaelee Collins,2023-05-30
CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – Monday, a community in mourning after three people were killed in a car fire on I-391 in Chicopee early Sunday Morning.Three people dead following I-391 car fire in Chicopee
Dozens of people gathered this evening for a vigil in Springfield to pay their respects and show support to the families of Jonathan Santiago of Springfield, Karylee Lopez Moret of Springfield and Angel Gabriel Rosado Colon of Holyoke who died in that accident.
One person at the vigil Bubu Sanchez, shared with 22News their heartbreak over this tragedy, “The sad part is that we ask ourselves, why does anything like this have to happen? Everybody here is at a loss, there are three families that have lost somebody that they loved,” Sanchez says. “It doesn’t matter if we are not all related we are all hurting the same way.”
Troopers were called early Sunday morning to 391 North for reports of that car fire. When police got there, the vehicle was completely engulfed in flames.
Santiago was the driver, who had initially been removed from the car, but later died at Baystate Medical Center. His passengers, Moret and Colon had been trapped inside the car.
- Federal Transit Administration rejects MBTA’s safety plan
- Man dies after falling under Green Line trolley in Boston
- Federal lawsuit targets how kids are removed from homes
- McCarthy’s future on the line as he whips debt ceiling deal
- Senate Democrats fret over debt ceiling deal, but signal grudging support