CANANDAIGUA — To most Canandaiguans, the hospital that comes to mind in our community is the F.F. Thompson Hospital that opened in 1904. It was established by Mrs. F. F. Thompson as a memorial to her late husband and to provide "a safe, roomy and well-equipped facility for the people of Ontario County." Mrs. Thompson purchased the James McKechnie residence and a lot of six acres on North Main Street [south of the current Wood Library] for $20,000. This site had been the original location of the Ontario Female Seminary. There was some consideration given to converting the McKechnie mansion into a hospital, but the architect hired to design the hospital found it unsuitable for this purpose. The McKechnie mansion was torn down to make way for the new hospital.