I love ice cream and frozen treats. I especially love ice cream in the summertime on a hot summer's day.
Top 5 Ice cream Parlors in Illinois Suburbs
5. Peterson's Old Fashioned Ice Cream (Oak Park) Peterson’s has been in business for over 101 years and for good reason. They hand-make all of their own premium ice creams. Enjoy your ice cream and look around inside at a truly historic original family-owned ice cream parlor. My personal favorite ice cream here is the black walnut.
4. Dairy Star (Lincolnwood) This place was once a Dairy Queen and then turned into Dairy Star 37 years ago. This ice cream mecca has had loyal customers travel far and wide to enjoy their ice cream treats. Dairy Star is known for its famous soft-serve and its wide variety of dipped cone flavors. My personal favorite is the blue raspberry-dipped cone.
3. Tate’s Original Old Fashioned Ice Cream Shop (La Grange) This unique ice cream shop has been making delicious ice cream for 30 years. They offer over 32 flavors to choose from along with old-fashioned malts, shakes, sodas, sundaes, ice cream pies and more. In November and December, they turn their ice cream shop into a gingerbread house. My personal favorite is their cinnamon ice cream.
2. Kimmer’s Ice Cream (Wheaton) Kimmer’s started in 2010 with their first location in St Charles, IL. They now have three total locations, adding Elmhurst and Wheaton. They are known for making unique flavors of ice cream, like olive oil and salt flavored ice cream, as well as classic flavors. They make all their ice creams in-house. My personal favorite is the Cookie Monster flavor when it's available.
1. Brown Cow Ice Cream Parlor (Forest Park) Brown Cow is a 100-year-old theater turned into an old-fashioned ice cream parlor. They have some of the best homemade ice creams around. The specialty desserts are insanely good. My personal favorite is Payton’s Cinful Sundae.
Honorable Mention Fan Favorite - Polar Bear (North Riverside) Polar Bear has been around for decades and it’s only open in the warmer months. My personal favorites are the frozen bananas and the funnel cakes.
© Frank S ChicagoFoodKing , 2021. All Rights Reserved.