A man has been charged with kidnapping his ex-girlfriend in Hemet and ending the life of another person who tried to intervene, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office announced on Thursday.
The police revealed that Shane Rayment, 37, was arguing with his ex-girlfriend on Sunday when Roberto Fletes, 42, tried to help out and lost his life because of his good intentions, according to Fox News.
The incident happened at 2:26 p.m. on Sunday, at 11378 Hatteras St., based on police reports. After that, the authorities said that Rayment made his ex-girlfriend get inside his vehicle and ran from the scene with her.
On Tuesday, at about 5 p.m., the Hemet police conducted a traffic stop on the car it was believed Rayment had been driving. He got rid of the pick-up truck that he had initially used.
Rayment was taken into custody without any issues. The woman was also discovered in the vehicle. She was hurt but was alive. Her injuries were not life-threatening.
“It’s especially tragic when a good Samaritan becomes a victim. I send my heartfelt condolences to his family. Mr. Fletes will always be remembered for his heroic actions on behalf of another,” District Attorney George Gascon said for the news outlet.
At the time of the arrest police officers saw another man in the vehicle, but detectives determined he was not involved and has since been released from custody.
Rayment was booked for a $3 million bail after the incidents in Hemet.